One thing angler’s around the world have in common. We are all looking for a better mouse trap! We are always searching for that one thing that sets us apart from the rest. Well unfortunately as most of you have figured out there are a lot of factors that play into that. Time on the water, correct presentation, and just dumb luck. But there are little things you can do to put the odds a little more in your favor, which bring us to the topic of scent selection. As many of you know there are a multitude of scent manufacturers on the market and they all have their time and place. One thing that sets Pro-Cure apart from the rest is Pro-Cure is made of 100% real bait fish. It is always a great idea to match the hatch and what better then to do that then with the real thing.
Choosing the right scent doesn’t have to be hard. Before you go if you are not already aware do a little homework and figure out the forage base of the lake, river or stream you plan to fish. You can also get a little more specific and check the contents of the stomach of your catch. This unfortunately doesn’t always ring true though. Many anadromous fish make their journey to saltwater to feed and grow and then make their return home to spawn. Many anadromous fish once entering freshwater lose the desire to feed. You then are trying to trick the fish into biting and scent can help trigger that instinct to eat that has been lost.
Between an extensive crew of top Pro’s, Guides and Anglers as well as a fanatical crew of anglers employed by Pro-Cure Bait Scents that make up Pro-Cure collectively, we have a pretty good pulse on top scents to put more fish in the boat. listed below by species are all fantastic scent options.
As you can see in the listings there are a lot of options and these are just scratching the surface. Pro-Cure currently offers over 400 different scents in different consistencies.
- Super Gel: Is designed for artificial lures such as plastics, plugs or hard baits. Super Gel is Pro-Cure’s top selling scent line. It covers a wide variety of fisheries.
- Bait Oil: Best utilized on bait. Bait oil is thinner and puts out a faster more potent scent trail. It also is easier to inject into your baits.
- Bait Sauce: The best of both worlds. Bait sauce is a little thinner than Super Gel and thicker than Bait Oil it works well on both real bait as well as artificial. Bait Sauce has a tactifier that binds well to everything, just like bar oil for a chainsaw.
- Water Soluble: Specifically designed for your feather jigs or flies or anything that you do not want to affect the integrity of the action by adding gel’s. Water soluble gives off a fast-effective burst of scent. It also works quite well on bait.
- Bait Waxx: Quickly becoming a favorite among many anglers Bait Waxx is a less messy option that works well on your plastics, plugs and hard baits. It comes in a small roll on container much like a stick of deodorant.
Another question we get a lot here at the factory is how long is my scent good for? Pro-Cure Bait Scents are going to last 7-10 years in optimum conditions. You will know if they are no longer good. They get quite rank. But there are things you can do to prolong the life. The number one thing you can do is keep out of extreme heat. This will spoil your scent quicker than anything. When possible keep in a cooler, tackle box or storage container.
In closing don’t ever be afraid to mix scents and play around with different scents. A prime example Bloody Tuna. There are a wide range of species that Bloody Tuna works well on even though most do not eat Tuna. Or Garlic and Anise. There are very few fish that can resist the smell of either one of those scents. We are not sure why? But they work quite well as many will agree. Good luck and Tight Lines.